Wednesday 30 March 2011

Ginger Zingers

There are some dishes that just shouldn't be messed around with - crême brulée being one of them. I don't like adding fruit in the base, spiced up custard and serving zesty sauces with them.  It's a classic dish and one that should be left as naked as it started.  I used to be the same about shortbread biscuits, but I came across an idea to spice up the basic mix.  I wasn't convinced at first and I mulled it over for a while and then decided to give it a try.  After all, what is the point of experimenting if you're not going to experiment?

In this recipe I've used ground ginger and have topped it with a ginger based icing.  It's got a strong kick to it, so if ginger is not your thing, try experimenting with other spices.  These are especially nice with tea or coffee, so perfect for that rare moment you may get to put your feet up for five or ten minutes.

I was very surprised too, that all my children liked them.  My two sons and eldest daughter are not fazed by the thought of new food and they eagerly try anything new put in front of them.  My youngest daughter is a different story.  It's hard to even get her to try new foods and what she does like is very limited and somewhat bland, so with this particular recipe I was certain the strength and heat of the spice would offend her palate.  But she proved me wrong and loved it and even asked for more.  So, again, another hit in the household and requests for more to be made very soon.

Ginger Zingers

The shortcake base:
225g (8oz) plain flour
100g (3½oz) caster sugar (I use unrefined golden)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
150g (5½oz) butter, cut into cubes

The icing:
150g (5½oz) butter
60ml (2fl oz) golden syrup
300g (10½oz) icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp ground ginger

1.  Heat oven to Gas 4 / 180C / 350F. Line a 7x11 inch baking tin with baking parchment.

2.  Make base: Put flour, sugar, baking powder and ginger in food processor.  Pulse to mix, then add butter and process for a few seconds to create a breadcrumb mixture. 

3.  Bring together by hand into a ball and then press mixture into tin and level off.

4.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Remove and leave in the tin until completely cold.

5.  Make icing: Put butter and syrup in pan and melt slowly.  Add sifted icing sugar and ground ginger and mix well to a smooth consistency.  Keep on heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.  Remove and pour immediately over cooled base.  Leave to set.

6.  When set, remove from tin and cut into squares or triangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment