Thursday 21 April 2011

Meatballs and Spaghetti

As I grew up there seemed to be a pattern where a certain culinary craze would hit a height and people would aspire to be like the chefs on television.  Maybe a certain ingredient was in vogue (like rhubarb is at the moment), or a plate shape or a presentation style.  It seems now though, that anything goes and you can flit between fine presentation and rustic, depending on the season, your guests, your mood, your time allowance and your budget.  I'm no artist, but I do like messing around with ideas to present meals and treats.  I really enjoy "sharing meals", where everything is placed on the table and everyone helps themselves. 

One of my favourite rustic and easy sharing meals is spaghetti and meatballs.  My meatballs are quite basic, minced beef, egg, onions, garlic, herbs, ginger and seasoning.  I roll them into balls and place them on a patty tin greased with spray oil, then bake them in the oven for 15 minutes.  While they're baking I make a sweet herby tomato sauce in a deep frying pan, then transfer the meatballs in and finish cooking them through.  I've found baking them first helps to keep their shape as putting raw meatballs into a pan and then trying to turn them just ends up with them in a big collapsed jumble.  Today I added a few slices of frozen mozzarella cheese to the sauce and let it melt in and it added a lovely creamy taste and texture to the sauce. The meatballs and sauce simmer away happily while a big pot of spaghetti bubbles away.

 
The spaghetti is piled into a huge bowl,  meatballs on top and half the sauce drizzled over. The rest of the sauce in a jug so everyone can help themselves to more. We love sitting at the table around the big bowl and digging in. Usually we end up with bits of spaghetti on the tablecloth or the odd meatball escaping off the serving spoon as it rolls off en-route to the plate, but it's all part of the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment